27.4.08

Gods Behaving Badly - Marie Phillips


I came across this wonderful book by chance. I work in the science library at UWO, so only a handful of novels come through our library on any given day. I try to make a habit of perusing these as they come in and out, just in case anything interesting pops up. By now everyone I work with is aware of my huge propensity for reading; it's not something I can even try to keep under wraps.

So I'm sitting at my desk, carrying out a mind numbing task, when a coworker comes and drops this book on my desk. She thought I would like it, A) because I read so much anyway, and B) because it said something about Greek Gods. As everyone is also aware, I love mythology and have my degree in Classics. This one act of book kindness made my day! I couldn't get a better gift. It's nice to know people are looking out for you, and for a reader, this is the best it gets.

Not only was this a surprise and random read for me, it was fantastic! As a classics major, I was skeptical at first. I'm very picky because I have too much background knowledge in this area to be able to enjoy something that is only loosely correct. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. The characters of the Gods and Goddesses were excellently portrayed and all mythological details were there. Phillips didn't just get the details right, she created a light and lively story, while very cleverly creating the Gods of Greek mythology, in all their glory and immorality, in a story set in 21st Century London.

This book is quirky and fun with a wonderful ending. I think anyone interested in classical mythology would get a real kick out of Gods Behaving Badly. I wouldn't miss this one!

No comments: